It was the spring when we upgraded our IDM system for EBS authentication. Now a few months have passed and all seems to have been working fine so I’d like to share a brief notes about issues we met and a final configuration.
We have a classical for identity management 3-Nodes configuration and now we’re running on:
OEL6 with UEK R3 kernel
Oracle Database 188.8.131.52 + PSU3
OAM 184.108.40.206 + PSU5
OID/OVD 220.127.116.11 + PSU3
The most difficult (for me) question was where could I find documentation for upgrading? Here what I collected:
Database upgrade guide
Oracle® Fusion Middleware Upgrade Guide for Oracle Identity and Access Management 11g Release 2 (18.104.22.168.0)
Patch Management of an Oracle Identity Management Deployment
OAM Bundle Patch Release History [ID 736372.1]
How to Upgrade OID/ OVD 22.214.171.124 To 126.96.36.199 (IDM PatchSet 6) (Doc ID 1962045.1)
Considerations When Applying Patch Sets to FMW 11g Release 1 Identity Management (Doc ID 1298815.1)
Master Note on Fusion Middleware Proactive Patching – Patch Set Updates (PSUs) and Bundle Patches (BPs) (Doc ID 1494151.1)
Oracle Internet Directory (OID) Version 188.8.131.52 Bundle Patches For Non-Fusion Applications Customers (Doc ID 1614114.1)
Integrating Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 with Oracle Access Manager 11gR2 (11.1.2) using Oracle E-Business Suite AccessGate [ID 1484024.1]
I cannot say that there weren’t any problems at all but the vast majority of SR I opened were on OAM. They were mostly related to misconfigurations in oam-config.xml file. Either because of upgrade or because of old errors. All this is our local particularity and not so interesting.
All works great in a test environment but the first day after upgrade production system was quite strained:
1. It appears that index IDX_JPS_PARENTDN in schema OID_OPSS was replaced by composite index. The old non-unique index was extended by unique key entity_id. This led to that the index grew from 300 to 600 MB. Explain plans also changed. All still works fine for a single client session. But when clients commenced connect at the same time execution time of search queries increased significantly (because of heavy disk IO) and method “ldapbind” was timing out. I recreated the old index and the majority of problems has gone.
2. Some queries still used the new one (composite) index. After some investigation we noticed too high cost of their explain plans. It was new 12c query re-optimization functionality named “SQL Plan Directives”. Igor Usoltsev wrote about it. We just disabled those SQL Directives.
3. Http GET response significantly increased. For some type of browsers (IE11 for example) it became more than 8K. We terminated SSL/TLS at a proxy side. And proxy (we use nginx) drops large packets by default. Large packets could get from both client and server sites. For nginx we increased buffer sizes (there are several settings, one for client side and other for server).
P.S. It would be useful also read this community thread. We haven’t faced with Coherence issues yet, our 184.108.40.206 versions works fine but folks reports that 220.127.116.11 is more stable.